Customerís FAQs on IMPS
1. What is IMPS?
Immediate Mobile Payment Service (IMPS) is an instant immediate electronic fund transfer service through mobile phones,internet Banking and ATMs.IMPS facilitate customers for doing interbank remittances.
2. Does the customer need to have a bank account for availing IMPS?
Yes, the customer needs to have a bank account with the bank which has enabled this facility.
3. Does the customer need to register to remit the funds through IMPS?
customer should enroll for
4. Is the beneficiary customer also required to register for IMPS?
The beneficiary customer should have their mobile numbers registered with the banks maintaining their accounts.
5. What beneficiary details does the customer need to affect an IMPS remittance?
The beneficiary details required are:
a. Beneficiaryís mobile number
b. MMID of the beneficiary customer or IFSC code and Account number.
6. What is MMID?
Mobile Money Identifier (MMID) is a seven digit random number issued by the bank upon registration. Remitter (customer who wants to send money) and Beneficiary (customer who wants to receive the money) should have this MMID for doing this immediate funds transfer.
7. How can a customer generate/retrieve his/her MMID using SMS mode?
The customer has to send MMID as SMS to 5607040:
8. Can a customer link more than one account to the same mobile number?
Yes. The customer can link the same mobile number to more than one account.The accounts should be in the same title and capacity.
9. What is the Process flow of IMPS?
Step 1: Remitter has to register with his respective bank for availing the facility. The customer remitting funds will enter details of beneficiary IFSC code, account number, mobile number, amount or mobile money identifier, mobile no. and amount.These instructions can be sent from his/her mobile through his/her bank provided application or SMS.
Step 2: Remitting bank validates the details of the remitter and debits his/ her account. This transaction is sent by the remitting bank to NPCI.
Step 3: Transaction is passed by NPCI to the beneficiary bank. Beneficiary Bank validates the details of the beneficiary customer, credits the account, sends confirmation NPCI about transaction status and sends a SMS to the beneficiary customer informing him of the credit.
Step 4: NPCI sends the transaction status to remitting bank which in turn informs the status of the transaction to the Remitter.
Step 5: Remitting bank send a SMS confirmation of the transaction to the remitting customer.
For remitting using SMS mode:
The remitter has to send a SMS in below mentioned format to 5607040
†††††††††††††† <IMPS > <Beneficiary Mobile No.> <Beneficiary MMID> <Amount><IMPSPIN
IMPS PIN is a seven digit no. which is combination of 4 digit SMS password and last 3 digits of Remitters Debit MMID
10. Is there any limit on the value of transactions in IMPS?
The limit is defined by RBI in the Mobile Payment Guidelines issued to banks. The customer can transact on IMPS subject to a daily cap of Rs. 50,000/- per customer overall for transactions through mobile for the funds transfer. Transactions up to `Rs. 5000/- (RBI Circular No. RBI/2010-11/511 DPSS.CO.No.2502 /02.23.02/ 2010-11) can be facilitated by banks without end-to-end encryption.
11. What can a customer do in case he / she is not able to install the mobile banking application on his mobile handset?
In case the customer is not able to install the mobile banking application on the mobile handset or the application is not functioning as desired, the customer may need to update the software on the mobile handset and re-install the mobile banking application on the same. If the problem is not resolved, the customer should then contact the helpdesk of the bank whose mobile banking facility the customer intends to use.
12. Can we withdraw and / or deposit money using IMPS?
Presently, the customers cannot withdraw and / or deposit money using IMPS.
13. What if IMPS registered mobile is lost or misplaced? Will anyone who comes into possession of mobile be able to make a remittance from customerís account?
At the time of mobile banking registration, bank would provide the customer with a User id and MPIN (Mobile Personal Identification Number) for accessing the mobile banking facility. An IMPS remittance will not be possible without these two inputs.
14. What happens in case the remitter enters a wrong beneficiary mobile number for remittance?
The beneficiary details required for making a remittance are mobile number and MMID. The transaction will get declined in case anyone of these two numbers is erroneous and transaction gets reversed instantly.
15. What are the timings for initiating and receiving IMPS remittances?
IMPS transactions can be sent and received at any time and any day. There are no timing or holiday restrictions on IMPS remittances.
16. If the transaction is not completed will the customer get his / her money back? When?
Yes. In case for any reason, technical or business, the IMPS transaction is not completed the reversal of the remitters funds will happen immediately. In case if such a transaction becomes a subject to reconciliation wherein the status of transaction is not determined immediately, the reversal of funds will happen in next two working days.
17. What are the charges for the customer for sending and receiving remittances using IMPS?
Currently there are no charges for IMPS transactions. However w.e.f ††23.07.2014 †IMPS transaction charges @ Rs. 5/- +Service Tax per transaction will be applicable.
18. Are there any subscription charges for the customers to avail this facility?
There are no subscription charges to avail this facility.
19. How long does it take for the remittance to get credited into the beneficiary account number?
The funds should be credited into the beneficiary account instantaneously after initiating the transaction.
20. Can the remitter transfer funds from his / her to the beneficiary account in other bank?
Yes, the remitting customer can transfer funds to the beneficiary account in other IMPS member banks. The list of banks offering IMPS is available on website †http://www.npci.org.in/bankmember.aspx
22. Is it necessary to have sufficient account balance to initiate a remittance?
Yes, the customer should have sufficient account balance to initiate a fund transfer.
23. How does the remitter come to know that his account is debited and funds have been credited in the beneficiaryís account?
The remitting bank sends a confirmation SMS to the remitting customer about the transaction initiated by him / her.
24. How does a beneficiary come to know of funds being credited to his / her banks account?
The beneficiary bank sends a confirmation SMS to the beneficiary customer informing him / her of the credit in the account.
25. Can a customer remit and / or receive remittance using the mobile number other than the one registered with the bank?
The customer can remit and / or receive funds using the registered mobile number only. In case he / she need to remit / receive funds using the other mobile number, he / she will have to approach the bank and complete the process of changing the registered mobile number for mobile banking.
26. When can the beneficiary use the funds received through IMPS?
The beneficiary can use the funds immediately on receipt of credit in the account. The funds received through IMPS are good funds and can be used immediately upon credit.
27. Are all banks offering IMPS?
The updated list of banks offering IMPS is available on our website †http://www.npci.org.in/bankmember.aspx